Day 4

Day 4

Day 4

Everybody grew nicely.  Smallest boy from yesterday got his game eating face on and is now second-biggest (after Immelmann, of course, who is gigantic, I suspect he may not be a Vallhund at all, but rather a bear cub who snuck in, he was 387 grams this morning – he’s just a big puppy, he actually gains slower than some of the others (he gains about 8.7% a day, which is still very good and ahead of schedule to double by one week of age), which is just as well otherwise we’d need a bigger boat whelping box.  Littlest girl Wee is closing in on the big 300 (grams), she’s at 293 today.

Day 4

Day 4

Day 2 of ritual abuse early neurological stimulation went well, and last night we started taking two puppies at a time (one for Jim and one for me) out into the family room with us while we watched TV (they didn’t watch, since their eyes are still closed, and since they’ve missed the whole first three seasons of Heroes anyway, we didn’t want to have to explain the whole thing to them).  This should help them a) get used to all kinds of human noises (like TV, natch), and b) learn that being away from their siblings and mum is okay.

At the milk bar, day 4

At the milk bar, day 4

Healthy puppies have what’s called “activated sleep”, which means they twitch and sometimes squeak while they’re sleeping (which they do 90% of the time, the remaining 10% is spent eating, not a bad life!).  It’s amusing to watch (which I do, a lot, because they’re just so darned cute!).  Activated sleep is a very cool thing: it helps them build their muscles while they sleep (I wish I could do that instead of going to the gym…).  You can see them getting a little bit more coordinated every day.  Nina wants to be near them, but she doesn’t feel like she has to be in the box with them 100% of the time now (I don’t blame her, when she’s in there they’re swarming all over her), and she will come out into the family room for a while now (the puppy room is right off the family room, so she can still hear, see and smell them).  She does a good job of toileting them, although she doesn’t always eat their poop (can’t say I blame her), they have started almost posturing to poop if she’s not helping them, they stand up with their back legs (they can stand on the back or the front now, but not at the same time).

Leave a Reply